All About Music or Why Music?
1. Music is a Science. It is exact, specific, and it demands exact acoustics. A band director's full score is a chart, a graph that indicates frequencies, intensities, volume changes, melody, and harmony all at once and with the most exact control of time.
2. Music is Mathematical. It is rhythmically based on the subdivisions of time into fractions, which must be done instantaneously, not worked out on paper.
3. Music is a Foreign Language. Most of the terms are in Italian, German, or French: and the notation is certainly not English -but a highly developed kind of shorthand that used symbols to represent ideas. The semantics of music is the most complete and universal language.
4. Music is History. Music usually reflects the environment and time of its creation even the country and or racial feeling.
5. Music is Physical Education. It requires fantastic co-ordination of fingers, hands, arms, lips, cheeks, and facial muscles in addition to extraordinary control of the diaphragmatic, back, stomach, and chest muscles, which respond instantly to the sound the ear hears and the mind interprets.
6. Music develops Insight and Demands Research.
7. Music is all these things, but most of all, Music is Art. It allows a human being to take all these, dry technically boring, (but difficult) techniques and use them to create emotions. That is one thing science cannot duplicate; humanism, feeling, emotion, call it what you will.
That is why I teach music; not because I expect you to major in music, nor because I expect you to play all your life. But so you will be human. So you will recognize beauty. So you will have more love, more compassion, more gentleness, more good - in short, more life.